SAPS vehicle accident procedures
31 August 2011 | Marcia van Tonder
When any government vehicle is involved in an accident the following procedures are followed:
- The accident scene may not be left by any parties involved in the accident.
- The following are required to be at the accident scene: The complaint vehicle, forensic unit, vehicle investigation unit, to confirm if both vehicles are road worthy, and the officer on stand-by must be present at the accident scene.
- A case of reckless, negligent driving will be opened to investigate the accident.
- The court will decide the guilty party of the accident.
- In the case where the driver of government vehicle is at fault the government will pay the damages.