New driver testing centre in Kliptown
18 December 2012
Gauteng MEC for Roads and Transport, Ismail Vadi, officially opened a new Driver Learner Testing Centre (DLTC) at the Walter Sisulu Square of Dedication in Kliptown.
The new DLTC is dedicated in honour of former Soweto student activist and COSAS leader, Bongani Trevor Kumalo, who was killed by police September 13, 1984.
Vadi said that Bongani was an epitome of student activism and sacrifice.
"We hope that in him the youth of today will see an example of selflessness and dedication to the cause of educational development, justice and freedom," he added.
The new DLTC will offer the following services to the residents of Kliptown, Eldorado Park, Soweto and neighbouring areas such as Lenasia and Slovo Park Informal Settlement:
· Application for a Learners License (Code 1- Motor Cycle, Code 2- Light Motor Vehicle, Code 3- Heavy Motor Vehicle);
· Application for a Duplicate Learners License;
· Renewal of a Driving License Card;
· Application for a Duplicate Driving License Card (Lost/Stolen);
· Application for a Professional Driving Permit;
· Application for Registration and Licensing of a Motor Vehicle;
· Annual Renewal of a Motor Vehicle License Disk; and
· Notice of Sale/Change of Ownership of a Motor Vehicle.
Vadi indicated that the Kliptown DLTC will ensure increased access to essential services and reduce corruption and fraud in the licensing system. The Computerised Learner Licensing Test System that has been installed at the DLTC limits the scope for fraudulent activities, he said.
Vadi pointed out that the location of the DLTC at the Walter Sisulu Square of Dedication was significant as it was here that the Freedom Charter was adopted on June 26, 1955.
"To this day, the Freedom Charter remains the statement of core principles of the ANC-led government in Gauteng. The Freedom Charter is notable for its demand for and commitment to a non-racial South Africa," said Vadi.
He added that the Freedom Charter envisioned a government that was democratic and representative; one that would render services to all citizens.