Things to do in Jozi this weekend
30 July 2011
On Saturday the 1st River Trail Scout Group hall in Bryanston will be thrown into the dark ages as medieval combatants duke it out.
High fashion and polo at the Inanda Africa Cup
The 2011 Inanda Africa Cup will be a swashbuckling affair with some of the best horsemen on the continent boasting their polo skills on the field, while the social elite display the latest trends in fashion.
Tasty treats and yummy food all at the Bryanston shopping centre food market.
An event that prepares brides-to-be for the enormous changes she will go through as she enters married life.
Immerse yourself in a world of wealth with the Johannesburg Coin show on Saturday.
Last chance to take in the Jozi Comedy Festival at the Teatro at Montecasino
For the past three years comedians from all over the world have entertained over 60,000 fans at the annual Nando’s Jozi Comedy Festival. That is big. Peri-peri big. In fact, it is part of the biggest trio of festivals on the African continent. Catch these comedians in action before the 31 July.
Indian classical and jazz fusion at Wits
The Wits School of Arts / WitsMusic presents the Amit Chaudhuri Band on 30 July.
Edoardo Villa & Willem Boshoff at Circa on Jellicoe
See works by Edoardo Villa, one of South Africa´s foremost sculptors, & conceptual artist Willem Boshoff
Art lovers - this is not to be missed. Head to the 4th floor centre court at Hyde Park Shopping Centre between July and August and be surrounded by beautiful art for sale.
David Krut Projects is pleased to present Skin, photographer Gary Schneider’s first solo exhibition in South Africa.
Exhibition A.R.C. @ JAG
Head over to the Johannesburg Art Gallery (JAG) where Richard John Forbes Exhibition A.R.C. is on show
Watch the trailers here - there’s something for everyone at the cinemas this weekend.
Take in a show at the theatre
- MY FIRST SONY by Benny Barbash - Last chance to catch MY FIRST SONY, an award-winning monodrama which has toured Israel and abroad to great acclaim, for more than 14 years.
- The Pirates of Penzance - Gilbert and Sullivan’s most loved light comic opera, The Pirates of Penzance, gets a serious overhaul. With just five men, one pianist and a whole lot of dresses, eye patches and swashbuckling, director Greg Homann brings this witty theatrical masterpiece to our intimate theatre.
- Burn the Floor - The international dance sensation comes to Joburg exclusively and direct from its record-breaking run on Broadway!
- The Fat the Femme and the Fabulous - this little show is a cross section of South African queer culture’s most celebrated characters. It’s a singing and speaking rainbow flag with a face!
- A Midsummer Night's Dream - Following on its much praised “15 min of fame” programme of four ballets based on the famous Andy Warhol quote, Tshwane Dance Theatre (TDT) will be opening with a brand new work based on Shakespeare’s play
- Alice in Wonderland - Come and join us down the rabbit-hole at the PEOPLES THEATRE as Lewis Carol’s immortal literary classic comes to life